New Service Provided Through Colorado Legal Services
Submitted by Amy Keckler
Licensed Social Worker
August 19, 2021
Hello! My name is Amy Keckler, and I am a new addition to the Colorado Legal Services staff. I am a Licensed Social Worker relocating from Norfolk, Virginia to work with the 60 year and older population in Colorado Springs. I am thrilled to bring my diverse social work experience of working with older adults, children and families, persons experiencing homelessness, and persons living with HIV/AIDS to the Colorado Springs area in order to create the Client Support Services program and resource network for clients experiencing legal troubles.
In an effort to better serve our clients, Colorado Legal Services in Colorado Springs has established a Client Support Services program to support individuals 60 years and older alongside their legal matters. Eligible clients receiving legal services from an attorney may also work with a social worker to identify barriers, apply for applicable assistance programs and community resources, and work on goal setting in an effort to resolve the legal case and create ongoing stability.
Colorado Legal Services is a non-profit agency that provides free legal advice, clinics and representation to eligible low-income Coloradans and seniors. We can assist with legal matters related to:
- Family law: domestic violence, divorce, custody, guardianship, etc.
- Consumer/debt problems including bankruptcy
- Housing law: foreclosures, evictions, landlord/tenant issues, etc.
- Problems with social service problems: Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, etc.
- Tax controversies
- Immigration on a case-by-case basis
- Assistance with obtaining IDs and other legal identification documents
- Issues for seniors such as living wills and medical power of attorney
If you are in need of assistance from Colorado Legal Services, please call 719-471-0380 to be screened by an intake worker.